Steel Pony Farm 2013 Food Box Program
Sign up below for a 2013 Food Box!
What is Community Supported
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)
is an agricultural system that views us all as either producers or
co-producers of healthy food. Farmers need eaters and eaters need
farmers. A CSA arrangement is a way for eaters to co-produce by
providing support for the farmer early in the season when money is
needed for seeds and other infrastructure expenses. We use the phrase "shared risks, shared rewards" to describe this program. When harvest is hot, you get loads of food! But members also recognize and appreciate that challenges such as unfavorable weather,
disease and pests are part of the risks of agriculture and can
affect the harvest. In exchange for signing up, the producer does his/her best to
provide as much excellent and fresh food as possible during the weeks of delivery.
How Does the Food Box Work?
Baskets will be delivered weekly from early July to mid October. The harvest season is weather dependent. Families sign up for the entire season.
We aim to provide boxes that include between 7-12 varieties of vegetables, depending on what is in season. Weekly food boxes will contain vegetables for a family of three to four, or for a family of two that is serious about their vegetables.
The price for the season is $695. The full payment can be made up front, or in two installments. The first installment of $347.50 is due to hold your place, and the second installment of $347.50 is due at the first pick up. Payments are non-refundable.
Payments may be made by check payable to Steel Pony Farm and sent to the following address:
9 Woodsworth Close
Red Deer, AB
Please fill out the online sign up form before mailing your payment.
While we are not technically offering a half-box, you are welcome to sign up with a friend to split a box. Upon doing so you may choose to divide each weekly box in two, or to alternate pick up and keep every other weeks veggies for your family. If you are interested in a half box but do not have anyone to share with let us know and we may be able to do some match making.
Pic-Up Locations and Times
Pick up locations and times are still to be determined. It is likely that boxes will be available for pick up at the Wednesday afternnon Downtown Farmer's market between 4:00 and 7:00 pm.
We will be growing approximately 45 types of vegetables and herbs, so each basket will be unique. The following are examples of vegetables you may expect to find in a basket throughout the season.
Early Spring – Arugula, Bok Choi, Lettuce Greens, Bunching Onion, Radish, Spinach, Cilantro
Mid Summer – Beans, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Chinese Cabbage, Cucumbers, Kale, Head Lettuce, Zucchini, Dill
Fall – Beets, Potatoes, Kohlrabi, Parsnips, Pumpkin, Winter Radish, Spinach, Squash, Swiss Chard, Rutabaga
In signing up for the 2013 food box, I agree to the following:
- I understand that through my participation, I am supporting more than an individual farm. I am also creating opportunity for pioneering agricultural practices to expand to meet the needs of a complex food system.
- I understand that farming is a seasonal and unpredictable undertaking, and that the exact selections and quantities included in the weekly distribution will change as the season progresses.
- I recognize that I am taking on some of the rewards and risks of farming. I can rejoice in bountiful harvest when conditions are favorable, and may have to come to terms with low crop yields and crop failures due to weather, disease or pests.
- I will pick up my veggies each week during the harvest season. If I can not pick up my vegetables I will make all possible efforts to send a friend, neighbour, or family member on my behalf. If none of these options are available I will give my farmers as much notice as I can so that alternative plans can be made. If I have not picked up my vegetables by the end of the pick up time, I allow my farmers to deal with my box using their best judgement in order to reduce spoilage.
- I commit to the entire season with the non-refundable payments of $695, or by paying in two instalments of $347.50: the first payment to hold my place and the second payment at the first pick-up.
- I will bring my own bag or box to transport my food.
- I am open to the challenge of incorporating new vegetables into my diet and planning meals with seasonal harvests in mind.